Wednesday, July 8, 2015

One personal, one promotional ...

True to my agreement with friends on Facebook, here's something personal to go with something promotional. Let's get this over with. I once performed a jazz dance number to STRAY CAT STRUT. I was still in my youth but not young enough so that it was a cute thing. This is embarrassing AND potentially shows my age. That’s all you get. And that’s enough. 

AND NOW, Caroline Leavitt -- whom I admire and adore -- was one of the novelists kind enough to take an early look at Harriet Wolf's 7th Book of Wonders and lend it some gravitas. What I love most about her take is what she says about stories themselves, the kind that exist within families. 

Here it is: “Dazzling and ambitious, Baggott’s gorgeously written new novel explores the ‘miracles born out of desperation’ of three generations of women, all set against an astounding sweep of 20th Century history. A mesmerizing tale of a star-crossed love, and of the dark secrets of a fracturing family, the book is also a profound meditation about stories: how they create and trap us, how they protect us, and how, even amidst great tragedy, they can sometimes make us bloom. So full of wonders, it leaves you haunted, amazed, and like every great read, irrevocably changed.” —Caroline Leavitt, New York Times Bestselling author of Is This Tomorrow and Pictures of You