Saturday, February 14, 2015

Wishing You an Urgent Valentine's Day

The most memorable dinner party I've been to was hosted by a couple in this little town in Provence. Just one other couple was invited to the dinner, and the man in that couple knew that he didn't have long to live. He was intense and pointed, and he kind of tore into me -- as an artist -- urging me to write what was important, essential. I told him that I'd done a lot of my heart work, one novel and my first collection of poems in particular. But he kept at me -- what I was saying wasn't good enough, didn't appease him. (I was there working on what would become The Provence Cure for the Brokenhearted.) Finally, his wife told him to leave me alone, and he leaned back in his chair, relenting. I was relieved, but he's never really left me. The heart work of writing and the heart work of loving each other goes on and on. Love each other. It's all fleeting. I wish you all an Urgent Valentine's Day.