Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Gratitude Project ...

Last month, a friend of mine was murdered. The month before we had messaged back and forth and he wrote about living with gratitude -- for the things he already enjoyed and the new things he stumbled upon. On the shelves above my desk, I keep boxes of note cards and envelopes, and I've had this idea that one day I would write thank you letters -- notes of gratitude -- to people who've really impacted my life over the years, especially people who would have no idea that they have meant so much to me. Last week, I started writing those little notes and sending them out. (I'm including people I knew in childhood, neighbors, relatives, libraries, teachers, writers I know well and those who are strangers to me... other artists, politicians who've done the right thing... ) These are small acts, especially in light of the violent world news and my friend's tragic death. But I feel like it's what I need to do. I want to make it more of my daily practice. The truth is that some of the people I want to thank are already gone. So it's today. Today.