Friday, June 27, 2014

Announcing...

I'm happy to announce that I've accepted the William H.P. Jenks Chair in Contemporary American Letters at the College of the Holy Cross. I'll start in the fall. It's a two-to-five year appointment that allows me to keep my close ties to Florida State University where I'll still be working with graduate students in the College of Motion Picture Arts.
I'm also inspired by Jenks himself. "Despite being stricken with severe polio at 19, which rendered him quadriplegic, Jenks was determined to continue his education and remain connected to the Holy Cross community. He learned to type on an electric typewriter with a clothespin between his teeth."
Jenks once said, "… A crippling disease is just one of fate's ways of undercutting muscular love. The able-bodied can be brought to truth through hurts that never show. I think it's likely I am not the most seriously wounded among us, only the most conspicuously bandaged. Sooner or later every one of us will be made to feel flawed, inadequate, powerless. And there's no defense against it … The alternative is to let yourself be loved." 

Click here for the full announcement.