Tuesday, January 14, 2014

So. Kirkus gave BURN a wonderful, rip-snorting review. But my favorite part is the first two words, "Fantasist Baggott" -- I mean, from now on when given options Ms. Mrs. Mr. Dr. for my prefix, I'm going to have to write-in Fantasist, scribble a box, and check in. (A little harder to do online.) They also call me a worldbuilder so I think I'll try to write that in when asked for my profession. (Banks are gonna love that.) And then I love the ending, "It’s no place for a picnic, but we’ll hope that Baggott moves on to making another world just as engaging as this one." Remembering all those years I couldn't even confess to wanting to be a writer, they still loom. All my anxiety of authorship is still there. The going public is always brutal for me. In the deepest, simplest ways, all I want is for someone to want me to keep writing. "What are you working on now?" is a beauty to me. 

Full text here: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/julianna-baggott/burn-baggott/