Friday, May 3, 2013

Link to WRITER UNBOXED.

As a contributor at Writer Unboxed, I have a piece up today about that heated topic of literary v. commercial, hitting on how we do a disservice to MFA students in CRW programs, how this this thing I call heart work operates early in a career -- I also don't let poetry off the hook. I give my definition of "what makes a bestseller" -- which I don't really understand. I talk about trying to make money, as a writer, and as a sole breadwinner for a family of six, you know I don't apologize for that. 

[Warning: Sometimes when I simply use the terms literary and commercial -- or here, as I switch to the blur of art and entertainment, I get some people truly pissed off. I mean it. I've had some people get extremely angry at me, on both sides of the proverbial aisle. That said, I still talk about it. Too fascinated not to. And I'm also bracing for reactions to what I say about MFA programs. But, hey, talk back. I don't mind.] 

So, here is WHAT I LEARNED FROM THOMAS EDISON AND STEVEN SODERBERGH AND HOW IT APPLIES TO NOVELISTS.