Thursday, February 7, 2013

Some Random Awards & Upcomings & Not to be Missed Stuff...

AWARD FOR FAVORITE SHORTY VIDEOS: Dear Lord, I'm a complete Laura Zigman fangirl. These shorties are so incredibly funny.  Fans of  PORTLANDIA, you have found a new little oasis of heavenly hilarity. I'm going to start you out real easy now. Here's one called "I Can't Believe You Said that About Trader Joe's." 

AWARD FOR FAVORITE FACEBOOK POSTS: Listen, I love me some Emma Bolden. I met her briefly at a writerly thang a Auburn, and we friended and now I'm an addict to her updates. Understated hilarity. Will there be some cat pics? Yes, there will. Is her FB picture a cat in a bonnet a la Little House on the Prairie. Yep. Deal. (Will she friend unknowns? I don't know...But she IS TWEETING, here.)


UPCOMING BOOK SHOUT FOR WRITERS: Oh, writers of various stripes, a new book on writing fiction is coming out. Written by the hilarious and wise John McNally, the title is VIVID AND CONTINUOUS; it includes exercises of the writerly type. I adore McNally's work -- a wonderful writer and a seriously engaging editor of anthologies. This is one you're going to want to check out.  Q and A with McNally to come! [Actual cover not blurry, I'm assuming.]

BLOG SPOTLIGHT: This is a blog about fat-prejudice (and much more), called FAT MATTERS, on being a round peg in a narrow world. The author Devon Miller-Duggan has such a compellingly smart, frank voice that I keep coming back. Stroll around the grounds... 

NEW POETRY COLLECTION BOUND TO MAKE YOU THINK AND DREAM AND CAST ABOUT: Daisy Fried's latest collection, WOMEN'S POETRY, is now out in the world. I find Fried's work terrifying and wondrous, twisted and relentless. 

NEW NOVEL THAT I'M JACKED ABOUT: Christopher Castellani's third novel, ALL THIS TALK OF LOVE. It's out! Have a look and you'll see why I'm touting it...


And a little music to pump up your day and remind you that spring will come and it will lead to summer. I swear. Click here and bounce down to SUMMER SONG.