Friday, October 28, 2011

Stuff to Buzz About


A recent film I loved ...

I love when directors let Gandolfini breathe like a bull into the mic. And I'll watch Diane Lane in ANYTHING. I was riveted to this film. CINEMA VERITE. It felt like it captured the era without being a set piece. I've never seen the original series, An American Family, but want to now. (The accuracy of the actors looking like the real people ... incredible.)


A book I recently blurbed ...
THE ODD CLAUSES by Jay Wexler. Seriously when I told my father -- a lawyer who'd wanted me to become a lawyer -- that I'd been asked to blurb a book about constitutional law, he really thought that the world had gone mad. Not so! The Odd Clauses, as I put it, is A Know-it-Alls Treasure Trove, a cabinet of constitutional curiousities that touches down on NASA, Ellis Island, even Saturday Night Live. Jay Wexler is brilliantly snarky, erudite, and comedic. They cut the part of my blurb where I said that if I hadn't bailed on law school, he was the kind of prof I'd have hoped for ...


A book that just found me ...

THE MYTH OF YOU AND ME by Leah Stewart
I love the plotting of this tale -- and how it goads you. The main character is a rare bird, and the road trip, the mystery, will keep you turning pages.






A book I'm jacked to read ...


THE TASTE OF SALT by Martha Southgate -- I met Martha at a bookseller conference and then dug into the book ... looking forward to the rest.











An old favorite ...


UNRAVELING by Elizabeth Graver -- Oh, how I loved this book. Still do. Beautiful, historical, sweeping ...

A book of poems I've just returned to (again!) ...

Rachel Zucker's MUSEUM OF ACCIDENTS -- Zucker's wild. Fall into these pages. Don't come up for a while ...