Friday, October 14, 2011

Baggott Looks Like She's Going Really Soft.

Listen, truth is, I've always been soft. And actually I'm both tougher these days and softer than ever.

And, yes, it is Glenda Baggott -- hyper-phobic matriarch of great love -- who sends me quotes from time to time (as well as simple URGENT alerts in group emails to all of her children -- things like "Don't EVER eat canteloupe!" because of a new foodborn illness alert. Did my computer like the spelling of foodborn? No. Did I try an alternate spelling based on the film franchise Bourne Identity? Maybe.)

And so perhaps posting the words below is a genetic thing that I'll age into. Hard to say. (Let me just clarify: women, we don't really have to become our mothers. That's a myth. We are who we are. Does that help? I don't want to scare anyone.)

And, yes, I've had a hard month, and once started crying during a Rick James song. (Look, it's okay to get teary during, say, James Taylor -- maybe even mandatory on certain songs of his among people of a certain age -- or even nostalgic if The Smiths catch you by surprise. But Rick James? C'mon, it HAS been a hard month.)

So, those who know me will be surprised that I'm pasting in some Mother Theresa below. But those who know-me know-me -- like down to the fact that my confirmation name (self-chosen at 13) is Joan of Arc, even though I'd preferred the French version at the time, they won't be surprised. Because, fact is, there's nothing soft about trying to live -- even in some small measure -- the words below.

For those atheist peeps out there, you can edit the last sentiment -- or alter it to something that feels large but true enough to you.

Here goes:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self centered.
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.
Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.
Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.