Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1/2 Dozen for Erin Morgenstern


Erin Morgenstern's debut novel

THE NIGHT CIRCUS
is getting tons of pre-pub buzz.
It's gonna be a biggie, people.
Here's a quick 1/2 Dozen with the author who does naughty things with commas and spent a lot of time building Egyptian pyramids ...








Current obsessions -- literary or otherwise.

Murakami’s 1Q84. Chocolate salted caramel cupcakes. Vintage fountain pens. Bon Iver’s Bon Iver.

Some writers hate to write. Other writers love being engaged in the creative process. How would you describe your relationship with the page?

I think my relationship with writing goes beyond the page, so much of my process occurs in daydreaming wonderings and ideas that strike me on trains or in the shower. I do like the actual writing-writing once I get a rhythm going. Sometimes it’s difficult to get started but I do enjoy it, there’s something exciting in the process at the stages where the story is so filled with possibility.

Writing Tip #17 for Aspiring Writers – or #47 or #2. Your pick.

Always carry a pen. Or a pencil. Or a phone you can type on if you’re a better phone typist than I am.

What kind of child were you, inside of what kind of childhood, and how did it shape you as a writer?

I was quiet and bookish with an overactive imagination. I read a lot and played dress-up and built Egyptian temples in my backyard because I read Zilpha Keatley Snyder’s The Egypt Game one too many times. I think spending a lot of time in my head or in books influenced my writing development, even though I didn’t start writing seriously until I was much older.

Are you a writer of place? Is place always one of your main characters?

Always. I usually start with place and develop characters and story after the setting has evolved. I love books that feel like destinations, like places to be visited, so I try to capture that in my own writing.

What's your worst writerly habit?

I often have to be in the mood to write. I’m not a write every day writer, I think about writing every day but I don’t always put words down on the page.

Also, I do naughty things with commas.


Erin Morgenstern is a debut novelists
and mixed artist who lives in Massachusetts.