Friday, March 18, 2011

Triple Jujitsu Move -- On Raising Children.

Today, it actually crossed my mind to force my 14 year old to be an accountant so that he would rebel and become an actor.

There's something wrong with me.

I said to my husband later, explaining the brilliance of my plan. "It's kind of win-win. If he doesn't fall for it, he can do our taxes!"

My husband stared at me, dumbfounded. "Do you really want him doing our taxes one day?"

"You're right. He'd probably only act like he was doing our taxes, and he'd be really convincing and we'd fall for it."

I see Chevy Chase in my head and the phrase, "Sugar, Mr. Poon?"

And then I thought of the phrase, which I think of so often but I don't know if it ever really fits, "hoisted by my own petard."

I look it up and find the Shakespeare reference and that this is the correct usage -- as it means "Injured by the device that you intended to use to injure others."

But then there's this line. "The French have the word 'péter' - to fart, which it's hard to imagine is unrelated."

Ah, yes.