Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why I Love VIDA.

Listen, the data is killing me, but VIDA: WOMEN IN LITERARY ARTS -- the brainchild of founders Cate Marvin and Erin Belieu -- is collecting and sharing the vivid and painful truth about the publishing industry for women -- including playwrights, poets, essayists, novelists ...

I've been secretly counting women published versus men in my head for as long as I can remember -- each literary journal I pick up. And sometimes I do it not so quietly. I count when listening to voice-over narrations -- male voices mouthing off even for the most feminine of products telling us what to buy, how to live. I do it with umpires, refs, coaches. I count when I'm reading credits in movies -- female names versus male names. It's old news in my house when I shout out the name of a female producer at the end of a film -- in the voice of "'bout time!"

Check out this article and its overwhelming info at VIDA. The Count is really disheartening -- EXCEPT that it's not. For my part, I can say that there is a huge flooding of relief that I'm no longer counting alone, that someone is counting for real, and that the data is undeniable.

Let's hope it opens some eyes.