Friday, December 11, 2009

Ironic Gifts for 13-year-old Sons who will one day grow up ... and perhaps land on your sofa ...

So I don't want to buy my 13-year-old son any super hero t-shirts for Christmas. "I had to live through that grueling Batman phase and it dragged on for years. I'm not doing super hero t-shirts now in the name of irony. I'm just not."

"If you deny the desire, you're just raising an adult who will only wear ironic super hero t-shirts," Dave tells me.

"He can do whatever he wants when he's an adult. I won't have to look at ironic super hero t-shirts everyday when he's living in Chicago running a theater company!"

My husband -- while brushing his teeth with an electric toothbrush -- says, "That's optimistic."

"Okay," I say, "how about 'when he's living in Chicago running a theater company into the ground'?"

"You know," Dave says, "that once he runs his Chicago theater company into the ground, he's going to come back here and live with us and sleep on the sofa -- wearing ironic super hero t-shirts."

"Damn it! You're right. Okay, one. Just one! That's it!"