Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quotes from the class ... Chisenbop.

So I give this pop quiz and one of my students -- let's call him B. -- is counting on his fingers.

I said, "Yo, B., it's a pop quiz on literature." (I always pronounce this Lit Rah Cha!) "What's with the finger counting? You doing chisenbop, or what?"

He looks at me like I'm crazy and mouths, "Chisenbo?"

After the quiz, he says, "Seriously, what's chisenbop?"

Another kid says, "Is it the gentile version of Yahtzee?"

"No, it's not the gentile version of Yahtzee." I explain that when I was kid, there was this thing called chisenbop where you did math on your fingers.

"Like the abacus without the abacus?" B. says.

"Right," I say.

Then another student -- let's call him K. -- pipes up and says, "So this was like before the invention of calculators?"

"That'll cost you, K.," I say, with a glare.

"What?" K. says. "What'd I do?"

"As if I was a kid before the invention of calculators? C'mon!" I say.

Then B. says, "Master Baggott," -- I'm not a Doctor, only have a masters degree, so they refer to me as such -- "being twenty-four-years-old as you are, well, is really not a bad thing!"

"See, K.? See how B. did that? He wins! B. wins! Congratulations, B.!" I turn to the rest of the class. "And THAT, my friends, is how you play chisenbop!"