Monday, July 13, 2009

When You're a Jet ...

Now, as a child, it was my one supreme goal to get all of my friends to amble into the 7 Eleven at various intervals, as strangers, and then one would start singing something from West Side Story or -- as I was always voted down on West Side Story for something from Grease -- someone would start singing something from Grease. One would start singing near the milk, and then another over by cat food -- with unified dance moves -- and then another by tampons, and another by the Slurpees machines -- all with wild, synchronized choreography. And then the whole place would be bursting with song and dance, and maybe even the other customers would join in -- maybe even the guy behind the counter ...

And so you can imagine how I felt when I was visiting one of my favorite blogs SARAH MAKES YOU STRONGER and she had this Michael Jackson tribute video up and just why this video hit me so hard. It represents my dream -- albeit enacted by Swedish people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJVRywgmYM


I mean, Stockholm? They can't even dance, and yet there they are ... all orchestrated and then, quite beautifully, they disperse, before the song is over ... That's it. Ephemeral art. And it's gone -- before the song is over -- and we all return to our individual, solitary lives.