Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Things I've Eaten Recently: Tasty Tip of the Day

I'm a sucker for things wrapped in bacon. I know this about myself. And yet, in a mood-lit apartment, celebrating the birthday of one of my favorite grad students, near Cinco de Mayo, I popped something bacon-wrapped into my mouth without really inquiring first as to what it was.

Or, perhaps someone did say what the bacon-wrapped item was and I wasn't listening.

Perhaps it was even labeled and I wasn't reading labels. Basically, bacon blurs my rational thought.

The item was a jalepeno pepper. There was also cheese involved somehow. It burned my tongue, my throat, my gums, and even, I do believe, my teeth.

To quench it, I downed a marguerita. Perhaps not the best choice either. I'm a lightweight. (And my distant history with marguaritas, in my youth, is not happy.)

Alas, I suffered. Natural consequences. This is sometimes the best way to learn. Although when bacon is involved, I don't know that I have the ability to learn.

This brings me to my:

Tasty Tip of the Day:

Beware of things wrapped in bacon.Read labels. Don't yell at the hostess when you're drunk on marguaritas and make a scene. Don't slap people on their birthdays, etc etc etc ...