Saturday, July 25, 2009

Charles Grodin and the Apocalypse

So I'm out for a walk with my 12-year-old son and I tell him that I've heard good news -- the recession is ending.

"They're just saying that because they know the apocalypse is coming. Of course the recession is ending! So is global warming! So is the world!"

"That's a little dark."

"Adults are so naive. We're all going to have to take up moon farming."

"Did you make that up? Moon farming?"

"Yes."

"This is a good bit. You should write this down for your stand-up."

"I don't know if I want to be a kid comedian."

"I don't think you should. You should become an adult comedian who worked hard on comedy ever since he was a kid."

"Comics don't work as kids on their material."

"Yes, they do. Charles Grodin lived near a zoo as a kid, and he used to try to time his jokes with the random laughs of the hyenas."

"That's just creepy and lonely. That is so lonely. I mean to be the kid who can say, 'Yeah, well, hyenas laugh at 25% of my jokes!' That's just so lonely and creepy. Isn't it?"

"I'd say poignant, really ..." But I didn't win the argument, and so I'm the one writing this stuff down.